Hi all! I thought I’d update y’all with some of my recent readings/watchings on the internet. (The picture above was taken in April 2019 during a hike to Cerro de la Cruz)
Thoughts on Life
- How to Pick a Career (That Actually Fits You) | Wait But Why Wait but why has a nice illustration here of post-undergraduate meaning, in which our life paths are no-longer linear. I did not read the whole article but bits of it were inspiring.
- Privileged | By Kyle Korver Institutional Racism as explained by Kyle Korver, whom I respect for using his platform to raise this issue.
- Thoughts on Personal Productivity | Pmarca This article has some inspiring points on how I can improve my personal productivity (I’m planning on writing an article sometime about how I organize my daily life 😊 )
- ‘Like LA with minarets’: how concrete and cars came to rule Tehran | The Guardian I’ve always wanted to visit Iran as their airlines have some of the most “unique” fleets in the world, and this article provides insight into Tehran’s urban design.
- To build the cities of the future, we must get out of our cars | National Geographic NG does a deep dive into cities and what they mean for the decades moving forward.
- Millennials are right to kill the American car | Quartz It is not the most well written article but it captures the sentiment of anti-car ownership
- Lake Erie Bill of Rights: this great lake now has legal rights, just like you | Vox Though I do not know much about law, I am interested in the intersection of law / tech / urban planning. This Vox article details the developments and reasoning behind the Lake Erie bill of rights. See also this VICE video about e-Estonia.
Music / Podcasts
Here are some albums I’ve really enjoyed recently:
- Jade Bird by Jade Bird I recently discovered this album via Pitchfork and I’ve really been enjoying her music. I love the rawness and energy in her voice.
- Buen Soldado by Francisca Valenzuela I first heard a cover Quiero Verte Mas at a festival in Santiago live and I later listened to more of her music.
- Street Worms by Viagra Boys Led by the ironic single Sports, this has been my introduction to post-punk.
Additionally, I’ve also embedded my playlist of songs I’ve listened to for the first third of the year.
In addition, here are some podcasts that I have been exploring recently:
- AvTalk from FlightRadar24 This is a podcast covering recent news on Aviation -an avgeek’s dream!
- Technopolis from CityLab This podcast from Citylab does deep dives into issues in regards to tech and cities -a transit oriented teen’s dream!
- Vergecast from TheVerge This podcast from TheVerge looks at weekly tech news -a techie’s dream! Specifically, I enjoyed their interview of Brad Bao, the co-founder of Lime.
Hope these are interesting for you to read too! If you have any thoughts on these topics, I’d love to discuss too!