I keep a journal entry to write down my thoughts and also my day to day life (who I hang out with, where I eat etc), though recently I decided to also start keeping track of my digital history, a series of links of articles / websites that I’ve found interesting. Here are some that I’d like to share.
- Why Is American Mass Transit So Bad? It’s a Long Story. - CityLab: this is a good CityLab article about the history of public transit in the US, it’s rise in the early 20th century, and its demise as automobiles became more prevalent in this country in the ensuing decades.
- Electric scooters: why Bird, Lime, Skip, and Spin are taking over cities - Vox: Dockless bikes, electric scooters, and even electric mopeds are coming soon to your city! This article is a nice intro/summary about this new transit medium.
- Predicting Intersection Signal Timing (Youtube): A Simons Institute Lecture on how traffic signals work and the technical details behind the scene.
- Extreme poverty in China: Only 3 kids left in a shrinking Chinese village (Youtube): here is an interesting video that shows the countryside of China. While when tourists visit China, they may be mesmerized by China’s world-class high speed rail, or the tremendous development in cities in the past few decades, it is worth noting that there are still regions in China that struggle with poverty.
My goal for this fall is to complete a half marathon, and to have a good cycling routine. Cycling a lot this summer has helped me build my endurance. Here are some relevant articles / videos that may be inspiring:
- I Ran A Marathon With Only Ten Weeks Of Training And It Was Intense (YouTube): here is a BuzzFeed video on training for a half marathon. Though cliche in certain aspects, I did find it inspiring (and how does she claim to be bad at long distance running if she ends up qualifying for the Boston Marathon 🤔)
- Try These 7 Different Types of Running Workouts! (Beginner to Advanced): different types of runs (beyond simply doing long, endurance runs) that might be good for running training. I’m a novice runner, so there’s a lot to learn for me!
- The Ultimate Guide for Tracking Your Cycling Heart Rate | Wahoo Fitness: An article about different heart rate zones that cyclists (and runners) should consider when training.
- Best New Music | Pitchfork: I recently discovered this website! It does album reviews which has helped me discover more music.
- Why Crazy Rich Asians is Important — to me – Benji Lin – Medium: My friend Benji wrote a summary about watching Crazy Rich Asians.
- RealClearPolitics - Opinion, News, Analysis, Video and Polls: Recommended by my friend Hongyi, this is a website that aggregates news about politics, seemingly the equivalent to HackerNews for tech.
Hope these are interesting for you to read too! If you have any thoughts on these topics, I’d love to discuss too! I should cite Landon Carter as an inspiration for this blog post format.